Monday, March 03, 2008

The scary story

Paul, in his previous entry, mentioned that I have a scary story to tell. That is true. The reason there are scary stories to tell is because Lydia tries to be independent and we are continuously explaining to her that some things are too dangerous to do on her own. She gets it, but still tries to find a way to do what she wants anyway. Here's the example:

On Valentine's day we were baking a heart-shaped cake. Lydia was so excited. She helped mix some of the ingredients and could not wait until the cake was done. When the buzzer sounded, she rushed to the kitchen, ready to partake. I told her that the cake is hot and that when we pull it out from the oven, we have to let it cool. She brought her stepping stool to look at the cake sitting on the counter. I specifically instructed her not to touch it because she would get an ouwie. Lydia understands ouwies. As the matter of fact, she is obsessed with them. So after I decided that I drove the point home to her, I ran into the living room for just a second to do something. A few seconds later when I turned around and faced our dining table, there was Lydia and what a sight she was. On both of her hands she was wearing oven mittens as she was carrying the hot cake pan to the table. I almost had a heart attach half from fright and half from amazement. I wore those gloves as I took the cake out of the oven and must have just left them right there. I could not believe the thought process of this 2 year old! I had to suppress my first desire to lash out and seriously scold her; after all she did do it the right way. And I know this is not the first or the last time she will do things her way, the "I be careful" way. I am just not sure I can take that kind of stress on daily basis. But then again, most parents do survive their kids. So, there is hope!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home