Sunday, May 27, 2007

Projects

We have been into a lot of projects lately. Paul has been setting up a server in our house with a computer that he got permission to take from school. We registered a domain name for our website that the server would host. It took Paul a while to get that old computer up and running good. Now, it's at a point where we can actually use it.

I have finished a project recently that I am so proud of. I sewed curtains for our bedroom. When we were in Utah, I bough the material for it. I wanted to use a combination nautical stripe material with a pretty light green twill. It took me a while to decide on the length of the curtains and how exactly I was going to hang them up, but after I actually committed myself to get going on this project, it only took me a couple of nights. Sewing the curtains I kept worrying that colors that I picked would be too bright and will feel out of place. Also, I thought the curtains might be too long, which means that the bottom stripe of green will not be seen from behind the desk and dressers. I thought that might look awkward. But once we actually hung the curtains I loved them. It is so fun to see something make such a difference in a room. I feel like it looks cozy in our bedroom instead of sterile and white.

Another ongoing project has been the garden. After we put a dripper-hose, everything has been growing so much better. We already ate 3 heads of cabbages, a row of radishes, some cilantro and strawberries. Since Lydia learned what strawberries are, she loves coming to the garden to pick and eat them on the spot. Recently our zucchinis have gone through a growth spurt. One plant is gigantic already and I am sure will produce soon. Everything seemed to take off recently: watermelons, tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, etc. My homegrown tomato seedlings did not make it this year, so I had to go buy some at the store. Now, I probably have 5-7 different varieties. My only concern at this point is my little wilting yellow squash. Last year it did not make it. I hope this year it will still pull through. And we still need to take a good picture of our garden and pick our last cabbage.

One more thing that I have been trying to find time to do has been my painting. I pulled out my oils and watercolors several times, which only made me realize how rusty I am. So whenever I find time, I read art books and try to improve my technique, which at this point is kind of non-existent. Recently I found a class that I could go to and only pay the amount for one day. So, this last Saturday I went. It was so much fun. I spent 2-3 hours on a still life, which I did not finish, but I got some good instruction from the teacher. He gave me some good tips which I know will help me improve and not be so intimidated. One lady who is a student even thought that it looked like I was an accomplished painter. I know she was trying to be nice and reassuring, which did boost my confidence. As to an accomplished painter, I feel not even close. But it was nice of her to say that anyway. So I am hoping I can attend that class a couple more times and work some at home before the baby comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home